Using this manual you will be able to use Windows Server 2008 R2 as a lightning fast Workstation which allows you to use applications, develop or play games better than you ever could on a home user Operating System like Windows 7 or Windows Vista! This manual is split up in several small steps so you can quickly convert your Windows Server 2008 R2 to a fully customized Windows Server 2008 R2 Workstation. If you have questions or if you encounter any problems during the conversion you can ask your question at the Win2008workstation Forum where many experts are willing to help you.
In case you don’t want to do all tweaks manually, it is also possible to download and install the pre-modded version. For those who don’t want to use the pre-modded version or have already installed Windows Server 2008 R2, a conversion tool is available which automates many of the steps in the manual.
Watch screenshots of a fully tweaked Windows Server 2008 R2 Workstation!
Table of Contents
1. Installation (Multiboot Installation), Drivers, OS Language, Computer Name and Owner Information
2. Wireless Networking
3. New User, Auto Logon and Password Restrictions
4. Disable Ctrl+Alt+Del at Logon and Shutdown Event Tracker
5. Enable Sound and Windows Startup Sound
6. Enable performance for Applications
7. Disable Internet Explorer Enhanced Security
8. Themes, Sidebar, Aero Cursors, Thumbnails in Windows Explorer, Boot Screen and Logon Screen
9. Missing Games Explorer and gameux.dll, xinput9_1_0.dll and MS DirectMusic Core Services, Game Controllers
10. 240 days Evaluation
11. Sticky Notes
12. Enable Remote Desktop with Aero
13. Bluetooth, see forum topic
14. Windows 7 Games, see forum topic
15. System Restore, see forum topic
16. Tweaking Services, see forum topic
17. H.264 and AAC Support, download from Microsoft Downloads – Update for Desktop Experience Decoder for Windows Server 2008 R2
18. TV Card (BDA Hardware Support), see forum topic and eHome IR Transceiver
19. Boot Optimization, see forum topic
If you find this website useful, please consider a donation, so I can pay my bandwidth and domain name. Thanks!
If you have any suggestions, post them at the forum, the blogpost or mail them to feedback [at] win2008r2workstation [dot] com!